Top Nav Regional Training Request Information Volunteers Cold Cases

Animal Control Unit

The Knox County Sheriff's Office Animal Control Unit responds to animal abuse, animals running at large, noise, vicious/dangerous dogs, rabies control, and animal bites.


865-215-2444 (Sheriff's Dispatch)

Call the Knoxville Animal Control Unit 865-215-8639 for calls in the City of Knoxville.

Hours: Seven days per week - 6:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M. Emergencies 10:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M.

Service Area

Knox County (outside Knoxville City Limits) and the City of Farragut.

Wildlife and Pests: The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) has jurisdiction over wildlife 1-800-332-0900 (bats, skunks, racoons, foxes, and coyotes). Knox County Animal Control Officers can respond to calls about wildlife that are sick/injured, and pose a direct safety risk to the public.

Problem Barking Sec. 6-33. Animals creating a nuisance.

(a) The owner having control or custody of any animal or livestock which:
(1) Habitually barks, whines, meows, squawks or causes other objectionable noise resulting in a nuisance to a neighboring resident, shall be deemed to be committing an act in violation of this article. For purposes of this article, "habituall" shall mean continuously for periods of ten minutes, or intermittenly for one-half hour or more.
(2) Disturbs the peace by destroying, desecrating or soling public or private property, chasing of persons, livestock, cars, or other vehicles, running at large, or other behavior that interferes with the reasonable use and enjoyment of said property, shall be deemed to be committing an act in violation of this Ordinance.
(b) The owner having control or custody of a female dog or cat in heat (estrus) shall humanely confine such a dog or cat in a building or secure enclosure so as to be inaccessible to any male dog or cat, except for controlled and intentional breeding of such animal.

Leash Law/Off-Leash Areas Sec. 6-32. Animals at large.

(a) No person owning or having possession, charge, care, custody or control of any animal shall cause, permit or allow the animal to stray or in any manner to run at large in or upon any public street, sidewalk or park or upon the property of another.
(b) Every person owning or having possession, charge, care, custody or control of any animal shall keep such animal exclusively upon his own premises; provided, however, that such animal may be off such premises if it is under the direct control of a competent person.
(c) This section shall not apply to a dog on a hunt or chase, nor a dog guarding or driving stock. This section shall not apply to any animal participating in an organized animal show.


It is required that all dogs and cats be vaccinated after reaching 3 months of age. Keep the rabies certificate as proof of current vaccination.

Animal Bites

The law requires all animal bites that break the skin (with the exception of rodents) be reported to the animal control office in the jurisdiction where the bite occured. If there is any question, please contact Animal Control at 865-215-2444.


Failure of the owner of any animal to provide adequate food, water, shelter, sanitary confinement, or vetrinary care constitutes a violation of state statute. In addition, intentional acts of cruelty, such as abandonment, harassment or torture will be vigorously prosecuted.

Young-Williams Animal Center

3201 Division Street, 865-215-6599. Monday - Friday 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.; Saturday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.; and Sunday, 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. Young-Williams Animal Center

After Hours Pet Emergency Clinic

Knoxville Pet Emergency Clinic

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center

UT Vet. Hospital Emergency Clinic

Humane Society of TN Valley

Bottom Nav TBI Most Wanted KPD Missing Children